Mr. Meet Me At El Loro
2-3 years ago when I was single after my
2nd breakup with my long term ex, I decided to try my luck at a little website
by the name of Plenty of Fish (POF). Now I know you are all groaning, and quite
honestly this site makes me groan as well. I have previously used this site AND
have had success with it. Met my last boyfriend I dated in Chicago through the
site, (had one date, drooled all over him and then we were inseparable for the
next 10 months until I moved back to MN and he moved to CA), had a previous 4
month "thing" not "fling" but a "thing" with a
guy between my ex and my 2 breakups.. and met who I THOUGHT was the man of my
dreams on there and dated him for 10 months before he also moved to the West
Coast. (I think there is a theme here...)
Bottom line is… are there idiots and users and weirdos and creeps
and psychos on POF? Totally. But there are idiots and users and weirdos and
creeps and psychos walking around downtown and in bars, and are your co-workers
and that you met through friends. Every crazy is someone’s son, or brother
(hopefully not husband J ) it just
takes longer to figure it out when you online date. It’s very easy to hide who
you are…It can and has been a huge waste of time this time around. But I have
met some pretty great guys on there as well in the past.
So here’s the deal. I was about a month out of a relationship,
relocating to Minneapolis and living on my aunt’s futon at her house in
Bloomington. Why I was trying to date is beyond me… I figured why not see what’s
out there, go on a few dates and dip my toe in the proverbial “Dating Pond” (yes,
that was a fish pun… I’m not sorry) I receive a message from a pretty good
looking guy after being online for maybe a day or two. This guy has a generic
Personal Trainer username like buffguy112 or PTmuscle111 or MirrorPic69.
Anyway, I take the bait (there is another fish pun) and read his profile.
Everything seems to check out, Master’s Degree, Teacher/Trainer etc etc. No
REAL red flags. We start a conversation; talk for about a week through the site
before he finally asks for my number. Through this entire period, he seems
completely normal.
HA. No.
Finally I feel comfortable enough to give this guy the nudge and
get him to ask me out. I cast a line out, he takes it hook line and sinker
(harhar) and on Monday we agree to meet that Saturday for a drink. Tuesday
night he texts me and asks me to call him. I do so, and he asks me if I’d like
to come over to play video games instead of going out for a drink. I CLEARLY
decline. My words;
“I’m not totally comfortable
with that. I don’t know you yet and I’d rather meet somewhere we are both
comfortable”. His response is something along the lines of
“Oh, public gives me anxiety, maybe we shouldn’t go out. Sorry”.
Very annoyed with his response I agreed and left it at that.
Tuesday, I get a text apologizing and asking if I’m still up to come over and
play video games. I repeat my previous response, reminding him that I am NOT
interested in going to his place adding a caveat this time. “MuscleMan111 do
you have a sister? Would you tell your little sister it was okay to go over to
guy’s house that she’s never met or would you tell her to meet him at a restaurant
or mall or public place?” He agrees with me and asks if I would be okay meeting
him that evening for a drink. I agree to meet him at El Loro that evening at 7.
I finish work, shower, get cute only to get a text at 6:30 as I’m about to
leave.
MuscleGuy “Sorry. Have to work late. Can’t go out tonight.”
Well that’s just awesome, I didn’t take like 2 hrs to look hot
right? Great.
I change, have dinner with my aunt only to receive a text at
9:15pm.
MuscleGuy “Hey, want to come over and game?”
Me: No… and I thought you were working late?
MuscleGuy “Oh, no, I ended up finishing around 7:15…”
Me: “Ok…. So why couldn’t you have dinner?”
MuscleGuy “I’m tired”
Me: “No. I’m going to bed. Goodnight”
Now, I am known for being a bit hard on people. I have been told
that when I get annoyed I can be mean. I know this… I wanted to change that
perception, and to be honest I used the whole forgiveness thing a little too
much on this guy… should have known this guy was a weirdo.
I don’t talk to him for a few days thinking he was a goner. Friday
night he texts me and asks me to call him… (Why he can’t just call me, is
beyond me) I tell him he can call me if he
wants to speak to me. He calls. Apologizes AGAIN then asks me to have lunch
with him at El Loro on Saturday. I was already annoyed with the situation and
made sure he knew it, he pleads and says he truly sorry, has a lot going on in
his life right now and would REALLY like to meet me, blah blah blah.
And then ladies and gentleman
(I think there might be one guy who reads this) Idiot ME. I agree.
Saturday arrives. (Ominous
music)
I text him making sure we’re still on. He responds. We’re set for
1pm at El Loro.
I run all my weekend errands super early. Get into the shower, get
ready.
Text at 12:30pm
MuscleGuy: “Helping mom move furniture, can we push to 2pm?”
Me: “Yup.”
1:45pm
MuscleGuy: “Still with my mom, would you be opposed to 3pm?”
Me: “Really? I’ll go eat with my sister just let me know when you’re
done.”
(Side Bar: He previously told me his mother had cancer and
required a lot of help. I’m not heartless, mom comes first.”
2:45pm (I haven’t moved from the couch because I can feel what’s
coming)
Muscle Guy: Hey, sorry this is taking forever. How do you feel
about 9pm?
Me: (I rip my face off and the Kraken is emerging) “Honestly, you
wasted one evening of mine this week, and now you’ve had me sitting around
since 11 waiting for you, wasting another one of my days. I really have other
things to do so it’s either going to be dinner around 5 or I’m going to have to
cancel.”
His response got me in full blown Kraken, Eat Your Face, American
Psycho Mad
MuscleGuy: “You know, I really don’t like feeling rushed or pushed
into doing anything. I like to do things in my own time. I won’t be going out
tonight. I’m going to bed. Bye.”
So he wastes my entire day, then he acts like I’m being
unreasonable for saying we’ll have to cancel if it goes any later?? I. Lost. It.
I call him. He doesn’t answer. So I call again. No Answer.
People, I did what I have NEVER done in my life. I left
a mean girl voice mail. Yes.
Yes I did.
Me: “Hi MuscleGuy, thanks for wasting my entire day, again.
Thank you for making me feel like I wasn’t worth your time. Oh and that your
time is more valuable than mine. That’s awesome. Thanks for making me run
around getting things done so that I could be available for our date, I really
wanted to get up early and run around on a Saturday. And thank you for the
lesson on the kind of people that you SHOULD not give another chance. Lesson
learned. Fuck You Very Much. Lose My Number”
Now in hind sight… that might have been a bit harsh. But I was a
little mad. My aunt sat on the couch listening as I ran my mouth at his
voicemail and I dare say she looked a little entertained. Now, if I’m being truly honest I think I was really
mad because I really was craving Mexican food and he kept cancelling. So I was
hangry which added into my voicemail rage. I call my friend up, and ask him if
he’d meet me at El Loro to eat. He agrees.
I get to the El Loro entrance and look down at my phone to a slew
of apologetic texts, stating that he has been at El Loro the whole time but was
just too nervous to see me, and blah blah blah. So I walk in to El Loro WITH my
male friend and here is this numbskull
who’s been sitting at the restaurant FOR HOURS. My friend feels awkward, laughs
at the situation and goes to the bar to watch football and eat. I’m left with
this guy.
I sit there. Blink and Chew. That’s it. I made it known that I was
not pleased to be there nor would there be any kind of repeat. He spends the
entire meal trying to flirt with me, make small talk, laugh at sarcasm towards
him until finally I tell him I’m tired and going to bed then pettily walk to the
bar to hang out with my friend. He Leaves. (I know, I acted like a child. I’m fine
with it)
He proceeds to text me that evening. Asking me out again, I remind
him that it will never. Ever. Ever. Happen again.
Every 2-3 days each week, for another 2 months, I would get a text from him asking me if I had
changed my mind yet. I would repeat. NEVER
EVER EVER EVER.
You hear me El Loro? Never.
He messaged me on POF a few days ago… my response?
NEVER
Post a Comment If You've Had A Similar Experience!
Would you have given him another chance?
Post Below!

No comments:
Post a Comment